Are you currently preparing for the arrival of a baby? If this is the case, you’re going to need to purchase plenty of diapering. Your baby isn’t going to be potty trained right out of the womb, so accidents are going to happen! Therefore, you should take the time to consider all of your options. Remember that it is possible to utilize throwaway diapers or cloth diapers. Although each is acceptable, there are numerous benefits of cloth diapers. Below, you will learn all about cloth diapers!
How Do Cloth Diapers Work
Although there are some differentials between cloth diapers and traditional diapers, they’re also very similar. With this in mind, you shouldn’t have too much trouble making the transition. The main differences is the way that you change a cloth diaper and the fact that you actually clean and reuse these diapers. Otherwise, there isn’t much of a difference. Both types of diapers are utilized in a similar manner and serve the very same purpose.
Different Types of Cloth Diapers
Before purchasing the best cloth diapers, you should take the time to explore the differentials. There are actually several different types of cloth diapers to choose from. Some are more convenient for the parents than others. Below, you will find a quick breakdown of each.
- Fitted Diapers – These are equipped with snaps or velcro, which allows them to fit around your newborn perfectly. Also, they’re typically made from very absorbent materials, which are capable of soaking up the fluids. Unfortunately, these diapers will need to be used with a cover, in order to make them completely waterproof.
- Pre-folded diapers – Although you won’t guess it, these diapers actually required a tad bit of folding. You’ll need fasteners and pins, in order to use these diapers, which makes them a little more complicated.
- Contour Diapers – These are also produced with super absorbent material, but they’re designed to be worn inside of a diaper cover. The diapers must be pinned, before they can be worn.
- One Side Fits All Diapers – These diapers do not need to be used with a cover. They’re capable of fitting babies from birth, until they’re ready to be potty trained. Typically, these diapers offer plenty of convenience to the parents.
- All-In-One – These diapers are also very convenient and will offer ease of use. No cover is required. Unfortunately, they must be washed, after every use. When using these diapers, you will not need to do any folding! Since these diapers are exceptionally thick, you’ll need to give them plenty of time to dry!
- Pocket Diapers – These are diapers, which are fitted with a pocket. The pocket is capable of holding a pre-folded diaper or another type of absorbent material. Again, these needs to be washed, after every use!
Benefits of Cloth Diapers
When it comes down to it, all parents will have a preference, as to the type of diapers that they use. Although you might be a fan of other types of diapers, you should still know and understand the benefits of cloth diapers, which will be listed below for your consideration.
- Health Benefits – One of the most common problems associated with diapers is the infamous diaper rash. Although it is still possible to experience rash on babies with cloth diapers, it isn’t as common as disposable diapers. Since cloth diapers can be produced from all-natural and organic materials, they can be made without harsh materials. This can dramatically reduce the risks of diaper rash!
- Eco-Friendly – If you’re interested in protecting the environment, you should do away with disposable diapers all together. With the use of cloth alternatives, it is possible to help the environment dramatically! According to experts, each baby goes through 7,000 diapers, before they’re properly potty trained! This can be very costly to your wallet and the environment! Therefore, you should definitely make the switch!
- Cost Effective – As mentioned above, disposable diapers can be extremely costly! 7,000 diapers will undoubtedly take a big chunk out of your budget. By making the switch to cloth diapers, you won’t need to spend so much! Although washing and sanitizing the diapers might be a little more time consuming, it’ll ultimately save you money!
- Convenient – Over the years, parents have stuck with traditional diapers, because they’re slightly more convenient. Thankfully, this has changed! Now, cloth diapers are becoming just as convenient and easy to use. This is especially the case with all-in-one diapers! If you want the convenience of disposable diapers, but the cost effectiveness of cloth diapers, your desires can be fulfilled!
Cleaning Cloth Diapers
The specifics of cleaning your cloth diapers will ultimately depend on the specific type of diaper that you’ve purchased! Some do not necessarily need to be washed after each use, while others do! In order to properly clean traditional cloth diapers, you will need a number of different items, including detergent, baking soda, vinegar, Borax, a bucket and a disinfectant. Below, you will find the steps that should be followed to clean your diapers!
- All solid waste should be removed from the diaper! Be sure to flush it down the toilet.
- Fill the bucket with a sufficient amount of cold water and .5 cups of vinegar or Borax.
- The diaper or diapers should be allowed to soak in the concoction for a period of time.
- Pull the diapers from the bucket and rinse out the water. This can be done, by using your washing machine’s spin cycle, if you wish.
- Add the diapers to the washing machine and add cold water, as well as .5 cups of baking soda to kill the urine and return the cloth to its natural color.
- Allow the diapers to wash for a few minutes, before stopping the cycle. Afterwards, you should allow the diapers to sit in the washing machine overnight.
- In the morning, you can remove the water and perform another spin cycle.
- Now, the diapers should be washed in warm to hot water, with an effective detergent. Washing by hand or regularly cycle should work.
- Once completed, you can rinse the diapers in cold water and vinegar.
- Complete the same process, until the water and detergent is completely removed from the diapers.
- At this point, all stains and spots should be removed. If not, you will want to repeat the steps again.
- After all of these steps have been completed, you can soak the diapers for a few minutes in a disinfectant.
- Finally, the diapers should be allowed to dry.
Best Detergent For Cloth Diapers
Take note that there are numerous detergents that will work exceptionally well for cleaning your cloth diapers. Although each will be effective, some are more highly recommended than others. Charlie’s Soap is highly recommended! There are some great alternatives out there, but Charlie’s Soap, which can be found above, has never failed me! Be sure to check it out today!
How To Change a Cloth Diaper
When it comes down to it, the specifics for learning how to use a cloth diaper will depend on the specific type of cloth diaper that you have! As mentioned above, there are some that are easier to use than others. Others are more complicated. Still, the process isn’t impossible, but it will require a little bit of practice. Below, you will learn how to change a cloth diaper.
- After the old diaper has been removed and the baby has been cleaned, you will want to lay the diaper underneath the baby. The backside, which is underneath the baby, should be in line with the baby’s waist.
- The top part of the diaper should be pulled up to the waist.
- Be sure that the baby’s legs will remain comfort, by spreading out the diaper properly.
- Once this is done, you will want to seal the diaper, with the appropriate snaps or taps.
- Afterwards, you will need to cover it with the outer cover. Remember that some diapers do not need this additional step.
Again, some diapers do not need these steps. Be sure to know the specifics for your cloth diapers!
Although there are numerous providers of cloth diapers on the market, I’ve become fairly fond of the FuzziBunz company. These specific diapers are available in various colors and styles, which ensures that your eye is pleased and your baby’s gender is matched. These diapers are equipped with convenient snap buttons, which make them tremendously easy to use! You just need to slip them over your baby’s legs and body, before snapping the buttons closed.
Pros of FuzziBunz Cloth Diapers
- One size fits all
- Snaps work easier and stay attracted better than some velcro
- Fits well and easy to use
- Very stylish
- Soft and comfortable fleece lining
- Easy to adjust the openings around the legs, as well as the size of the place
- Elastic is replaceable
At the end of the day, there are numerous reasons to make the transition from disposable diapers to cloth diapers. Before doing so, you should know how to use and clean the diapers! It is also a good idea to find a good brand, which will serve you and your baby well. With the information presented above, you shouldn’t have a problem doing that!